Labor Day Weekend: Wow, what a busy weekend we had, thanks for everyone who came to the market. Some of you might have seen glimpses of a wedding couple on the farm on Sunday, congratulations to my neice Jessica Sonday who was married to Travis Steck. For my Dad this was the first grandchild to marry, it was a beautiful day and a beautiful wedding, we wish them all the best.
Apples: We have a smaller apple crop than normal this year due to spring frosts/freezes and damage from a hailstorm which occurred in May. While the State of Michigan is down about 25% for their apple crop, some of our varieties have taken a 60% hit. Many of the apples have some hail damage on them, which left a mark or indent where the hail hit and the apple skin healed over. This does not hurt the good flavor or the quality of the apple, but the apples do not look as nice as we are all accustomed to. We will be grading the apples and removing those that have the worst hail damage to use for making cider. But this smaller crop means that certain varieties and the U-Pick could go very quickly this year. The three types of apples we have the most of are: Fuji, Golden Delicious and Red Delicious.
Apple Pricing: As each apple type becomes available, we will update you. But in general, the 2010 apples prices will be the same as last year or in some cases a bit lower, due to the hail damage.
Apples available on the market now:
- Cortland: $18 a bushel, $9.50 a half bushel, $6.00 peck
- Honey Crisp: $1.00/lb. We try to have these on the market at all times, but they are not ripening consistently, so there may be days we don’t have them, you may want to call in advance to make sure we do before you drive over 269-244-5690. We also try to offer bags of “not so perfect” Honeycrisp for half price. Check these out when you are at the market.
- JonaGold: $18 a bushel, $9.50 a half bushel, $6.00 peck
- Jonathon: $16 a bushel, $8.50 a half bushel, $5.00 peck
Apples which are gone for the year:
- Jon-A-Mac: (very light crop)
- Gala: (very light crop)
- MacIntosh: (very light crop)
- Molly’s Delicious: (very light crop)
U-Pick Apples: An estimate on when U-Pick apples might be available is the 2nd week of September. We hope to provide an opening date by the end of this week. Of course it depends on the weather and how they ripen. We will post the opening date and send an email as soon as we know this. They will be the same price as last year to pick which is $12/bushel.