- White Niagra grapes: Open for picking now.
- Blue/Purple Concord grapes: Will open for U-Pick on Monday, September 13th.
- If you want both color grapes, you should try to come the week of September 13th.
- U-Pick Grape Pricing: Will remain the same as last year which is 20 cents/lb. If you pick over 100 pounds, it is 15 cent/pound. A bushel of grapes weighs approximately 40 to 50 pounds depending on how you fill it.
- As most of you know, once we open the U-Pick grapes, they will be available up until Welch’s comes to harvest them. Preliminary information from Welch’s says they will probably harvest our white niagara grapes starting on 9-11 (we will save a field for you to pick in the week of 9-13) and the purple concords around 9-25. However, this can change, so we will keep you posted with the latest. Welch’s is trying to manage a nation wide schedule of harvests and processing plants, so we have no control over this. You can always check the website for the latest information or call us. 269-244-5690.
- For those of you who have picked grapes in previous years, you will notice there are fewer than in previous years due to early frost and some hail damage. We have a total of 120 acres of grapes, so there should still be enough for everyone.
- Picking Instructions for U-Pick Grapes
- Please bring containers to pick your grapes in such as buckets, baskets, tubs, etc.
- Please check in with the market clerk when you arrive and make sure your containers are weighed before you pick.
- Please bring garden clippers/scissors/knife or a similar tool to cut the grapes, this makes it easier.
- Dress appropriately for a vineyard setting where natural hazards exist: Bees/hornets/wasps/poison ivy or poison oak and places where the ground is not level, etc. You might want to wear enclosed shoes/socks and pants due to the tall grass. (We cannot mow the grass this close to harvesting….)
U-Pick Apple update: We will open the apple orchard for picking on September 16th for all apples except Cortland, which we will open up on September 13th. (Cortland only on the 13th). Since we do not have any early apples due to frost, we have had to wait for the later apples to ripen. What we will have for picking will be: Cortlands, Red and Golden Delicious, Fuji, a few Cameo, Jonathans and possibly a few Northern Spies. Sorry, we have a very light crop of apples this year due to a spring frost compounded by a hailstorm which damaged them. They will be $12 a bushel to pick, the same as last year.
We will update you on apples as soon as we know more, thanks for your patience.