Strawberry Update: We hope to have strawberries through this coming weekend, June 23rd, and if it cools down, we may have a few into the week of June 23rd. If you have placed an order for a flat or case already picked, you should have received a call by now. We hope to fill all of the orders this week.
Picked Strawberries are available in the market daily now at $3.25 a quart. We are still taking orders for larger quantities of picked berries, however we are at a point in the season where we can’t promise them but will try our best. Pricing will be:
- a flat of picked berries (8 quarts) is $24.00 ($3.00 a quart)
- or a case of picked berries (16 quarts) for $44.00 ($2.75 quart)
U-Pick Strawberries: We have had a good run of berries so far. There is still good picking, but the berries are getting smaller. We rotate our fields every 3 days to get you the best picking we have. However, these cool nights are just not helping to get them ripe. We will stop picking some of our early berries in the next few days (about 1/3 of the fields) which will cut down on our U-Pick availability. We will continue to open at 8:00 am each day (weather permitting) but we might get picked out early. For example, today we closed at 9:30. If you need more information about U-Pick, please go to the bottom.**
- Sweet Cherries: We have a good crop of Sweet cherries this year, but not the bumper crop like we had last year. We lost about 20% of them during the May frost. We hope to start picking some sweet cherries for the market this coming weekend, June 22nd. We will set a U-Pick opening date on Friday June 21st along with pricing information.
- Sour Cherries: We have a very small crop of sour cherries this year (25%) as they were in their critical bloom stage when we got the frost on Mother’s Day weekend. So, we lost about 75% of them. We expect them to be ready around June 28th, again, depending on the weather. Please check back closer to the end of the month for more information.
**Strawberry U-Pick Information:
- U-Pick Strawberry times: We will open the field at 8:00 am and it will remain open until we are picked out or until 11:00 am.
- Our goal is to always have good picking for our customers. So we will close the field when all the picking for that day is complete. Depending on how many people come out in a given day, there could be some days that we will close before 11 am. Picking will be on a first come, first serve basis. Given the cooler weather this June, we may have to close on certain days for ripening.
- To get the latest picking information, check our website, our facebook page or our answering machine. You can call the night before or the morning you are trying to come to make sure we are open. With the price of gas, we wouldn’t want anyone to make a trip only to find out we are closed!
- Location: The strawberry fields are located on AL Jones Road, between Corey Lake Road and M-60. You may go directly there, just look for the signs as to where we are picking each day.
- U-Pick Strawberry pricing will be $1.50 quart. Please bring quart containers if you have them, if not, you may purchase or borrow ours but bring containers (bowls, tubs, etc.) to put them in to take home.
- We are trying something new this year which is dedicating a section of the field for those who want to come out for the farm and U-Pick “experience.” We know there are many families who would like to have their children understand where their food comes from and how it grows. For this group, the “experience” is almost more important than how many berries are picked. If you fall into this category, we will give your family information on how berries grow and show you how to pick them. When picking in this section, each person picking will be allowed to pick up to one quart so we can hopefully accommodate all who come.
- Please dress for strawberry picking! Due to the rains this week there is plenty of mud. The foliage is wet in the mornings so long pants and long sleeves along with rain boots is suggested.
- If you are trying to pick larger quantities of berries (over 5 cases or 80 quarts), please call us in advance and we would like to try to work with you to schedule you in on a day when we have lots of berry availability. Ask to be put on our “large quantity list.” 269-244-5690.