Finally…..our tomatoes are starting to turn red, thanks for your patience. However, due to the pent up demand for everyone wanting canning tomatoes, we are going to have to put a few restrictions in place for a while until they reach their peak production.
- Picked “firsts” tomatoes will be $18.00 a bushel and need to be ordered in advance. (269-244-5690)
- Picked “seconds” will be $12.00 a bushel and need to be ordered in advance. Note: a “seconds” bushel of tomatoes are ones that have a spot/blemish on them, misshapen or extra ripe–you will need to use right away and will have to cut parts of them out
- We have already started calling customers on both lists as they become available.
- We will open the U-Pick tomato field on Sunday, August 25th.
- U-Pick tomatoes will be $13/bushel this year.
- Please bring your own baskets or your may borrow ours to measure in but bring something to put them in when you are done, like boxes, tubs, buckets, etc.
- The field will be open from 8 to 6 daily and will operate on a first come-first serve basis, unless we have to close it for ripening.
- When picking tomatoes, it is best to pick them orange to red colored and let them ripen up when you get home by spreading them out for a day or so to get completely red. If you pick them too ripe, you will already have tomato juice made before you get home!
- Until we reach peak production, we may have to limit customers to picking 3 bushels maximum at a time when a lot of customers come on the same day.
- If the field gets picked out, we will need to close it for a day or so to allow them to re-ripen so that there is good picking again. So please call before you come so we can try to give you the best information we have on tomato availability and if we are open or closed. 269-244-5690.
- Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate and continue to ripen enough tomatoes each day to keep up with demand so we don’t have to put in place any restrictions. But….as you all know, the weather has been truly abnormal this summer. We have lots of green tomatoes on the vine and our tomatoes are beautiful this year—so we will have tomatoes up until the first frost.
We have green beans, pickling cucumbers and green peppers available by the bushel. Please call ahead to reserve what you need, 269-244-5690.
Bartlett Pears and Stanley Prune plums. We expect these to be ready sometime the first week of September. If you would like to pre-order these, please call the market at 269-244-5690 to get on our list.
Apples: We are starting to bring in a few more kinds of apples each day. On the market now we have Earli-blaze (a good eating and cooking summer apple) for sale by the bushel. Today we started picking a few Gala and Molly’s Delicious which we are selling in small quantities, we will have bushels of these later as these are favorites for many people.
Our fall apple crop will probably be starting mid-September for some of the earlier varieties. Right now it looks like we are going to have a lot of apples.We will publish our apple chart next week with our predictions on when we think each variety will be ready and try to give you an idea on when U-Pick apples will open.
Thanks as always for buying local–Beth and everyone at Corey Lake Orchards.