Strawberry Update: With the weather cooling down we hope strawberries might last another week, hopefully through this coming weekend of June 24/25!
- U-Pick: We will continue to open the U-Pick berries as long as there is good picking. We started in a new field today and the picking is beautiful. So we except to be open everyday for most of this week and MAYBE through the weekend. Our hours are 8 until noon unless we get picked out early. They are $2.25 a quart, please bring containers to take them home in.
- Picked berries: Available in the market at $3.75 a quart or a flat of 8 quarts for $28. It really helps us if you could call ahead to reserve a flat if you want them, 269-244-5690!
Sweet cherry update:
- Picked Sweet Cherries: We picked a few for the weekend, but now are waiting for more to ripen. We hope to have more again on Wednesday.
- Sweet Cherry U-Pick will open on Friday, June 23rd for picking. After getting into the trees this week, we realize there are really not a lot of sweet cherries to pick this year due to poor spring pollination when it was so cold and wet. We want to be upfront with you about the picking conditions so you can make the best decision before you drive here, especially if you are coming from a distance. We grow about 8 different varieties including black, red, yellow and a few that are multi-colored. We have lots of yellow sweet cherries which are really good! Try them! This may be the year you want to enjoy your cherries already picked!
- Pricing: 2.25 per pound to pick (same price as last year.)
- The sweet cherry trees are very tall (15 – 25 feet). We cannot lend you a ladder (sorry!), see note below on this.
- Length of the season. It is hard to determine how long they will last since we don’t know how many folks may come out to pick. Feel free to call us before you come and we can tell you how the picking is. 269-244-5690.
Tart cherry update:
- Picked Tart cherries will be on the market for sale beginning Friday June 23rd.
- U-Pick Tart cherries: We will open this orchard on Friday June 23rd when the sweet cherries open (you will need to spot pick carefully to get the ripe ones). Their prime picking will be around June 29th and after if you want to wait and get them nice and ripe.
- Tart cherry U-Pick pricing will be the same as last year: 1.50 pound, over 50 pounds @$1.25.
- Length of season. We have a good crop of these and would expect them to last about a week to 10 days.
Information for U-Pick cherries:
- U-Pick Hours: 8 – 6 daily, please be finished picking by 5:45 p.m. to be back to the market by 6pm.
- Be sure to dress appropriately (closed shoes, long pants and sleeves) as you may run into poison ivy or prickly plants in the orchard area, among other hazards.
- Please bring your own containers. We have buckets you may borrow to pick in, then you can transfer to your own containers (bowls, tubs, buckets, etc.).
- Check in at the market first for directions and to weigh the containers you are picking in.
- Please bring your own ladder as we do not supply ladders. Some of the best cherries are out of reach and even a small step ladder would be helpful. We cannot let anyone climb the trees lest the branches get damaged, so please come prepared.
- Our current orchards are older with very tall trees, so be mindful this is not always the ideal “small children” picking experience, although perched on a parents’ shoulder seems to work!
Wanted to get this update out to all of you as we know that strawberries and cherries are June favorites!
Sorry, we can’t predict how long we will have U-Pick cherries as we never know how many people will come out and pick. Usually we have sour cherries for around 2 weeks, but sweet cherries go quickly.