After another week of emptying the rain gage, we have been delighted to get these few days of sun. Ask any school child what it takes to make a plant grow, and almost all of them will quickly tell you water and sun. And those students a bit further along in their science study can tell you about the photosynthesis process. What a difference a few days of sun have made on the health of our plants, orchards and vineyards.
And we thank all of you who came out over the long Memorial Day weekend, despite the on and off showers. It was great to see so many of you back that we hadn’t seen all year!
On the market now:
- We have fresh picked asparagus and will have it all weekend. While it seems like we just started the asparagus season, we are already 5 weeks in and will probably only pick for one more week. So…get your fill quickly! Pricing: $2.50 a pound; 10 pounds or more for $2.25 a pound.
- Fresh Rhubarb is also available, $2.50 a pound.
- Our large sweet onions, grown in 2018 and stored over the winter.
- Greenhouse cucumbers
- Greenhouse tomatoes: They are in limited supply as they start ripening
- U-pick herbs: See list at the market for what you can pick now
- Organic produce from the Hoophouse: Spinach, Lettuce, Kale and radishes
Bedding plants: Vegetables, flower annuals, herbs and tomatoes. We have sold out of some plants, so feel free to call before you drive out to see if we have what you need. While we know only too well it has been tough to get anything in the ground, these few days without rain should allow for planting!
Lettuce bowls, for your “pick your own salad. ” Pick and then let it grow back for your next salad.
If you would like anything reserved, give us a call at 269-244-5690 and we would be happy to save it for you!
This weekend’s offerings will be:
- Cookies: Frosted Cut Outs, Frosted Lemon, M&M “Monster”, Chaos, Mudslide, and Salted Caramel
- Pies: Blueberry, Cherry, and Strawberry Rhubarb. Cherry Berry is available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
- Breads: Whole Wheat, Honey Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Italian, Tuscan, Focaccia Hamburger and Hotdog Buns
- Cinnamon Rolls, Sticky Buns, Yeast Donuts
- Summer flavors cake donuts: Buttermilk, Blueberry, and Cherry (Available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Also in the bakery you can find:
- Local Gluten free items
- Local Plainwell Ice cream to scoop out with pie.
- Jake’s Country Meats, pork products
- Welch’s juice products, from Lawton
- Country Home Creations herb and spice packets to make your own dressing or dip
- Our new line of local chocolates
We know we told you this last week, but we’re going to say it again since we have had a lot of weather changes this week. While the erratic weather makes farming challenging, it also affects our baking. The temperature and humidity swings in the last few weeks have affected how our breads and donuts turn out. Sometimes too large, sometimes too small. So if you find an extra donut in your bag, it’s because we added extra if they came out small that day (or not round!!) We promise they still taste good no matter the shape or size:)
Alcohol offerings: Our brandies, wines and hard ciders available are:
- Brandies: Pear, Grape, Apple, Cherry, Peach, and Grappa
- Wines: Double Cherry and Kaiser Cyser
- Hard Cider flavors: Standard Dry, Standard Sweet, Preach, Blueberry, Hometown Hero, Cortabella, Currant/Cacoa, Elves, United Squash Federation, Ginger, Strawberry and Brunch.
In the next few weeks we will let you know how we will be doing tours and tastings this year. We’re a little late getting started because we have plants filling the spaces we need.
Happenings on the farm:
This week we planted, planted, and planted, every chance we got, even through the raindrops. We are hopeful that everything will be finished up tomorrow, including getting the sunflowers planted. Please do a “No rain dance” for us to give us at least a half a day tomorrow!
This year’s sunflower experience will be in August and we’re excited about the plans we have for it. To get it kicked off, we are starting a sunflower growing contest for children called: Corey Lake Orchards 2019 “Growing Children Growing Sunflowers Contest”. All of the information you need for this is at the end of the email or pick up a flyer at the market.
Our crop of strawberries and blueberries are just finishing up blooming and beginning to make fruit! Strawberry timing is about mid-June with blueberries in July. They will be late so check back with us for updated timing.
Everyone at Corey Lake Orchards thanks you for buying local. Have a good weekend and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Reminder: Corey Lake Orchards will now be closed every Tuesday. We will continue to share this notice since it is a major change. As a small family business, we have begun to realize that to best serve our customers with an exceptional product and experience, we need a down day once per week to regroup, reorganize, and re-energize.
Corey Lake Orchards 2019 : “Growing Children Growing Sunflowers Contest”
Attention: Moms, Dads, Grandparents, Godparents, Aunts, Uncles, Teachers, and all
- Contest open to children 10 years and younger
- Purchase a sunflower book for $12.99 and receive a packet of 5 sunflower seeds free with book purchase.
- Plant seeds into the earth, water as needed, and keep weeds away so they can grow tall!
- Photograph the growth at least 4 times (see suggested schedule below) and send pictures to email@example.com. Corey Lake Orchards will share pictures, progress and the winners on their website and social media. Only child’s first name and last name initial will be used, like Sally G.
- Photo 1: When I Spy (when plant is first popping out of the ground)
- Photo 2: When Knee High (when plant reaches the child’s knees, measure with the sunflower growth chart in the book)
- Photo 3: When it Goes to the Sky (when it is as tall as the child, measure with the sunflower growth chart in the book)
- Photo 4: And Why? Your own unique photo and caption with the child (extra points if it rhymes!)
- Corey Lake Orchards will be the final judge, reviewing all pictures and captions.
- Prizes: Top 3 chosen to win will receive four tickets to Corey Lake Orchard’s Sunflower Experience in August
- All other qualifying entrants (must submit the four photos) will win a free donut and small slushy