We’re open for the 2019 season! Our hours are 8 to 6 daily, including holidays, except we are now closed on Tuesdays
We have fresh picked asparagus and will have it all weekend. Asparagus is finally starting to grow faster with some of these warm days. We have started down the order list and should have all the orders filled this coming week. Thanks for your patience. Pricing: $2.50 a pound; 10 pounds or more for $2.25 a pound.
Fresh Rhubarb is also available now! $2.50 a pound. We also have rhubarb pie in the bakery, a spring favorite!
Our large sweet onions, grown in 2018 and stored over the winter.
Organic produce from the Hoophouse: Spinach, Lettuce, Kale and radishes
Bedding plants: All of our bedding plants – vegetables, flower annuals, and tomatoes are here! These plants are specially grown for us at Schram’s greenhouse in Kalamazoo and are the same varieties we plant in our fields. It is so important to start with a high-quality plant, so as you think about your garden needs, plan on getting your plants here. Any of our staff can help you pick out what you need, just ask!
- Cole crops: Cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, various lettuce varieties, broccoli, chard, and spinach
- Flower annuals: We have a huge selection of flower annuals….too many to list
- Tomato plants: We have a large selection of tomatoes (all the ones that we grow here in our own fields) plus mini tomatoes like grape and cherry
- Other “heat loving” vegetable plants like peppers, cucumbers, melons, squash, and eggplant
- Hanging flower baskets: We have lots of hanging baskets, including some of the favorites we carry every year like the lipstick plant
- Lettuce bowls, for your “pick your own salad”
- Large tomato plants for your patio, porch or yard
- Specialty pots made up with flower and herb arrangements by our own Teri. If you’d like Teri to make a special pot for you, bring in your containers and pick out the flowers and she will put it together.
- Bakery: This weekend in the bakery we will have our peanut butter cream pies! These are definitely a favorite! If you would like anything reserved, give us a call at 269-244-5690 and we would be happy to save it for you!This weekend’s offerings will be:
- Cookies: Flower Cut Outs, Frosted Lemon, M&M “Monster”, Chaos, Mudslide, and Salted Caramel
- Pies: Blueberry, Cherry, Rhubarb and Strawberry Rhubarb. Peanut butter Cream is available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
- Breads: Whole Wheat, Honey Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Italian, Tuscan, Focaccia Hamburger and Hotdog Buns
- Cinnamon Rolls, Sticky Buns, Yeast Donuts
- Summer flavors cake donuts: Buttermilk, Blueberry, and Cherry (Available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
Also in the bakery you can find:
- Local Gluten free items
- Local Plainwell Ice cream to scoop out with pie.
- Jake’s Country Meats, pork products
- Welch’s juice products, from Lawton
- Country Home Creations herb and spice packets to make your own dressing or dip
- Our new line of chocolates
- Many of the staff, particularly Beth, needed a good chocolate for stress relief and just to enjoy! We had a lot of fun exploring different local chocolatiers this winter (especially the sampling part) and are now partnering with “Confections with Convictions” who handmake artisanal chocolates exclusively from organic and fair trade. Find out more about them and their story here: https://confectionswithconvictions.com/
- Just outside the bakery in our market fridge, you’ll find lots of local cheese from Benton Harbor, but also we have Mattawan Creamery Yogurt back for the year. Many of you have fallen in love with this yogurt, if you haven’t tried it, you should! Learn more about them here: https://www.facebook.com/Mattawan-Artisan-Creamery-105281702883195/
Alcohol offerings: Our brandies, wines and hard ciders available are:
- Brandies: Pear, Grape, Apple, Cherry, Peach, and Grappa
- Wines: Double Cherry and Kaiser Cyser
- Hard Cider flavors: Standard Dry, Standard Sweet, Preach, Blueberry, Hometown Hero, Cortabella, Currant/Cacoa, Elves, United Squash Federation, Ginger, Strawberry and Brunch.
Due to popular demand Teresa has made more asparagus tamales to sell on Saturday and Sunday. They are $1.50 each, you may want to call and order ahead. 269-244-5690.
Happenings on the farm:
We hope last weekend was the last time we had to move plants into shelter from the cold weather. Some of our plants are breaking records for how much mileage they are racking up being moved in and out!
Apples are now in full bloom, enjoy these final blossoms while you are out and about. Strawberries and blueberries are starting to bloom. Many questions about when strawberries will be ready, as of now everything is running about 2 weeks behind due to the cool spring, but that could change. We estimate mid June for strawberries. Stay tuned.
Blueberries in bloom
The several days of sun this week have started turning the greenhouse tomatoes from green to red……it won’t be much longer now!
With the few sunny, dry days, we planted furiously. Yes, we have planted our heat loving crops like tomatoes, squash and other and are keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks to Teri and Teresa, we got our herb garden planted. All of the metal pots in front have different mint in them. Be sure to stop and smell!
Everyone at Corey Lake Orchards thanks you for buying local. Have a good weekend and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Reminder: Corey Lake Orchards will now be closed every Tuesday. We will continue to share this notice since it is a major change. As a small family business, we have begun to realize that to best serve our customers with an exceptional product and experience, we need a down day once per week to regroup, reorganize, and re-energize.