Update posted 8-31-19 Sorry, we are not going to have enough sweet corn for the entire weekend after all. We do have some today, Saturday, if you call us, we can put dozens aside for you and hold. (269-244-5690) We will have more corn for those who are still needing bushels to can or freeze next week. Please call to order and we can call you back when we have bushels. Sorry:(
The weather is looking great for the weekend, maybe a few showers hit or miss, but we will take the cool! These cool nights are great for the apple growth, allowing them to color and gain size. For many of you, this will be your last weekend here at lake cottages, so we hope to see you to say goodbye and of course, encourage you to take some of Corey Lake Orchard’s goodness back home with you. We have stocked our CLO fall logo wear with long sleeved tees and zippered hoodies, perfect for cooler fall weather. You will notice the fall changes on the market with mums and colored hard/winter squash, and apples filling up counters where you used to find vegetables! One great surprise is that we should have blueberries through the entire weekend, due to them starting late this year and going late, the first time we can remember! We’ve even thought of your canine friends with a new flavor of dog treats – pumpkin molasses. When picking up some pumpkin donuts for your peeps, remember to pick up some pumpkin molasses treats for your pups!
Yes, we will be open from 8 until 6 all holiday weekend, including Labor Day Monday! (Closed Tuesday)
What is on the market now:
- Vegetables: sweet corn, cabbage, yellow summer squash, fresh dug onions, green beans, brussel sprouts, cherry/grape tomatoes, regular field tomatoes–red and green, spaghetti squash, winter/hard squash, garlic.
- Fruit: blueberries, summer apples, seeded watermelon
- U-pick herbs
- U-Pick flowers
- Dried sunflower heads–to feed your feathered friends
Are you canning or freezing? We can still get bushels of sweet corn, tomatoes,and green beans. Please call us to order ahead.
For those wondering about fall apple and grapes, please know they are both running at least one week later than normal, due to the cool spring. We normally have U-Pick apples available on Labor Day weekend, but will not this year as they are not ready. We have some good summer apples in now for eating or cooking (and for those school lunch boxes!). After Labor Day weekend, we will publish an apple estimate chart on when the different varieties will be ready. For grapes, check back with us in the middle of September to see how they are coming along, but they are typically not ready until the last week of September.
Photographers – If you are interested in Fall photo opportunities on our farm, please contact Brenda@coreylakeorchards.com. She will work with you to schedule appointments and provide information on backdrop possibilities as well as our photo policies.
This weekend in the bakery we are bringing back fresh apple pies, made from one of the best pie apples we grow; Earli-blaze!. This is one of only 2 apple varieties that have earned their place to be used in one of our pies because of their amazing flavor and consistency. We will have fall flavored donuts-Apple cider, Pumpkin and Buttermilk (available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Labor Day Monday). If you would like anything reserved, give us a call at 269-244-5690 and we will be happy to save it for you!
This weekend’s offerings will be:
- Cookies: Cut-out cookies, Frosted Lemon, M&M “Monster”, Chaos, Mudslide, and Salted Caramel
- Pies: Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, Cherry Berry (Cherries, blueberries, and dried cranberries) and Strawberry Rhubarb.
- Breads: Mill Grain, Wheat and Rye Herb, Potato Scallion, and Herb Baguette. Whole Wheat, Honey Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Italian, Tuscan, Hamburger and Hotdog Buns
- Note: We are sorry we will not have focaccia bread until September due to a supplier issue 🙁
- Cinnamon Rolls, Sticky Buns, Yeast Donuts, muffins, scones
- Dessert bars: peanut butter mousse, chocolate caramel, lemon burst, chocolate truffle, Key lime pie bomb, chocolate and white mousse
- Fall flavors cake donuts: Buttermilk, Apple Cider, and Pumpkin (Available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
- Slushies- 3 flavors; Unpasteurized Apple Cider, White Grape Peach, and Grape blend.
Look for our “take and bake” pies for you to stock up on in your freezer (for you to indulge in). “Take and bake” pie choices are all large-9″ pies and available flavors in the freezer now are: Blueberry, Peach, Berry Peachy, Strawberry Rhubarb and Cherry berry.
Also in the bakery you can find:
- Local Gluten free items
- Local Plainwell Ice cream to scoop out with pie.
- Jake’s Country Meats, pork products
- Welch’s juice products, from Lawton
- Local chocolates
- Brandies: Pear, Grape, Apple, Cherry, Peach, and Grappa
- Rye Whiskey
- Wines: Double Cherry and New: Peach and Honey (already a favorite by those who have tried it)
- Hard Cider flavors: Standard Dry, Standard Sweet, Bark Bite, Cortabella, Currant/Cacoa, United Squash Federation, Ginger, Strawberry and Brunch.
- Brandy tours and tasting is available every Saturday from 1 until 3 pm, in the Brandy Barn/Distillery. Bruce, our brandy maker will be there to welcome you, talk with you about our process, offer sample brandy and some hard ciders as well! It’s always an interesting and fun experience.
- Our last summer Happy Hour! Happy Hour, with free cider samples for the tasting, happens on Saturday from 3 to 6, this will be our last Saturday Happy Hour for the year. This weekend find us in the “onion barn” at the top of the hill. If you want to taste more than the three free samples, ciders can be purchased for continued enjoyment here or to take home.
This weekend marks one year since the serious RTV accident we had on our farm last Labor Day with our own Terri Kaufman. Terri sustained extreme injuries, has had multiple surgeries, and has spent this year continuing to recover. Tomorrow she undergoes another difficult surgery; please hold her in your thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and recovery. We all miss her!
Everyone at Corey Lake Orchards appreciates you buying local! We hope to see you this weekend.
Reminder: Corey Lake Orchards is closed every Tuesday. We will continue to share this notice since it is a major change. As a small family business, we have begun to realize that to best serve our customers with an exceptional product and experience, we need a down day once per week to regroup, reorganize, and re-energize.