So, summer has returned for a few days, but we are moving forward with fall and hope the weather will soon match up. More apples are in at the market, fall ornamentals of mums, gourds, colored corn, mini-pumpkins have added color, plus we have continued decorating around the old white truck, the fire truck and the old tractors we have out and about.
It’s Apple Season! Here’s what we have in the market for sale now:
- Mollie’s Delicious is a large, sweet eating apple. (not a cooking apple)
- Gala is a great eating and cooking apple. It has a crisp snappy bite over a mellow sweetness
- Honeycrisp: This seems to be many people’s favorite. It is crisp with an excellent sweet flavor and a “bite” to it. Great for eating fresh or using in salads. Sold by the pound only, ($2).
- JonaGold: Superbly crisp and juicy with shades of tart and sweet in each apple, very large and aromatic. Cross between a Jonathan and Golden Delicious
- McIntosh: This is a soft, white fleshed apple, very popular for baking and applesauce.
- Earli-Blaze: This is a great cooking or eating apple, we use it in our own bakery!
This weekend we will have U-Pick Apples again on Saturday and Sunday. The varieties available now are limited to Gala and Jon-A-Mac. until more varieties ripen. The trees are full and they are fun to pick! We know that many of you look forward to the annual “apple picking experience” with your family followed by a “U-pick donut” experience!
Apple pricing for the year: The price is the same for picked apples or u-pick apples. With the exception of a few special varieties (like Honeycrisp) all the apples will be: $26 a bushel**, $14 a half-bushel, $8.00 a peck (1/4 of a bushel), $6 a half-peck, $3.50 a 1/4 peck and $1.00 a pound. **When we have bushels available.
Apple picking will be available on Saturday and Sunday only this year, during our business hours of 8 until 6. Please check in at the market first to get directions and you will be driving to the orchard. We need everyone checked out by 6, so you must be in the apple orchard by 5:30, and checked in at the market by 5:15. Check our website or call us to see which apple varieties will be available which weekends.
Wondering when your favorite apple will be ready? Each week we will publish an apple estimate at the end of this post.***
Apple Cider update: We are gearing up to make sweet cider, just waiting for a few more apple varieties so we have a nice mix to be sweet. Give us a week or so, thanks.
Grape Update: You can smell the grapes and they are turning color and softening. We have a decent crop of the purple Concord, but we lost about 40% of our white Niagara grapes to the winter freeze, so we will have fewer of those. Our best guess now is the white grapes could be ready the week of 9-16 and the purple grapes the week of 9-30. But it depends on the weather. Before we open, we will want them to be at their full ripeness and sugar content. Please check back with us later for an update. Additional information about grape picking can be found below.**
Picked grapes: We are taking orders for bushels of picked grapes both white Niagara and purple Concord. They are $28 a bushel.
What is on the market now:
- Vegetables: sweet corn, fresh dug onions, brussel sprouts, eggplant, peppers, cherry/grape tomatoes, regular field tomatoes–red and green, spaghetti squash, winter/hard squash, garlic, shallots
- Fruit: apples, seeded watermelon
- U-pick herbs
- U-Pick flowers
- Dried sunflower heads–to feed your feathered friends
Tomato update: We are still working through the many orders for canning tomatoes, there has been an increased demand for them due to other farms losing theirs in hail storms. We will try our best to fill orders, but our tomato fields are winding down to the end. None of us want tomatoes to be gone for the year yet, that’s for sure.
Bakery update: We are starting to take orders for Apple Dumplings! These are made with a whole Cortland apple which is peeled, cored, and then wrapped in our made from scratch pie dough. They are then filled with cinnamon sugar and have our special family recipe sauce poured over them! We will only have them available the weekend of October 4-6, by order only. They are sold in packages of 2. If you would like anything reserved or to order apple dumplings, give us a call at 269-244-5690 and we will be happy to save it for you!
This weekend’s offerings will be:
- Cookies: Cut-out cookies, Frosted Lemon, M&M “Monster”, Chaos, Mudslide, and Salted Caramel
- Pies: Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, Cherry Berry (Cherries, blueberries, and dried cranberries) and Strawberry Rhubarb.
- Apple Crisp
- Breads: Wheat and Rye Herb, Potato Scallion, and Herb Baguette. Whole Wheat, Honey Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Italian, Tuscan, Hamburger and Hotdog Buns
- Cinnamon Rolls, Sticky Buns, Yeast Donuts, muffins, scones
- Dessert bars: peanut butter mousse, chocolate caramel, lemon burst, chocolate truffle, chocolate and white mousse
- Fall flavors cake donuts: Buttermilk, Apple Cider, and Pumpkin (Available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
- Slushies- 3 flavors; Unpasteurized Apple Cider, White Grape Peach, and Grape blend.
Look for our “take and bake” pies for you to stock up on in your freezer (for you to indulge in). “Take and bake” pie choices are all large-9″ pies and available flavors in the freezer now.
Also in the bakery you can find:
- Local Gluten free items
- Local Plainwell Ice cream to scoop out with pie and apple crisp
- Jake’s Country Meats, pork products
- Welch’s juice products, from Lawton
- Local chocolates
Photographers – If you are interested in Fall photo opportunities on our farm, please contact Brenda@coreylakeorchards.com. She will work with you to schedule appointments, provide information on our photo policies and discuss backdrop possibilities in the apple orchard, the pumpkin field and other picturesque spots we have on the farm.
- Brandies: Pear, Grape, Apple, Cherry, Peach, and Grappa
- Rye Whiskey
- Wines: Double Cherry and New: Peach and Honey (already a favorite by those who have tried it)
- Hard Cider flavors: A fall favorite is back: Preach! A great blend of pears and peaches! Standard Dry, Standard Sweet, Bark Bite, Cortabella, Currant/Cacoa, United Squash Federation, Ginger, Strawberry and Brunch.
- Brandy tours and tasting is available every Saturday from 1 until 3 pm, in the Brandy Barn/Distillery We offer brandy, wine and some hard cider samples. It’s always an interesting and fun experience.
Everyone at Corey Lake Orchards appreciates you buying local! We hope to see you soon!
Reminder: Corey Lake Orchards is closed every Tuesday. We will continue to share this notice since it is a major change. As a small family business, we have begun to realize that to best serve our customers with an exceptional product and experience, we need a down day once per week to regroup, reorganize, and re-energize.
**Additional grape information:
- Picking hours: Our picking hours are 8 am to 6 pm every day except Tuesday (when we are closed) , we ask that you be finished and checked out by 6, except for Wednesdays, where we will stay open until 8 pm (must be checked into the market by 6 pm).
- Please check in at the main market on Corey Lake Road before you start. You will be directed to the vineyard in which we are picking that day and be assigned rows to pick on by our vineyard supervisor.
- If you are coming to pick grapes, please bring clippers, scissors, 5 gallon buckets and small wagons if you have them. Some of our rows are very long! If you don’t have 5 gallon buckets to pick in, we will loan you ours, but please bring something to take your grapes back home in. (Boxes, plastic tubs, etc.)
- Pricing : U-pick pricing for both color grapes is the following (please note we sell them by the pound and consider a five-gallon pail or a 1/2 bushel basket to be 20 pounds):
- 45 cents a pound for under 100 pounds, 1 five-gallon bucket or a ½ bushel = $9
- Over 100 pounds; 27.5 cents a pound, 1 five-gallon bucket or ½ bushel = $5.50
***Apple Estimate Chart for 2019: Updated 9-12-9 2019
|Variety||Crop Size Estimate||U-Pick Available? Red means they are ready now for Saturday/Sunday picking||Approximate Week Ready–Please check back as weather will can change date earlier or later||Should order in advance|
|Gala||good||yes||In market now||no|
|Honey Crisp||fair||no||In market now||no|
|Jona Mac||good||yes||In market now||no|
|JonaGold||good||no||In market now||no|
|McIntosh||good||no||In market now||no|
|Molly’s Del||good||All picked||7-Sep||no|