Celebrate a fun weekend at the farm, and for many it will be a 3 day weekend with Columbus Day on Monday! (Yes we are open Monday) We have U-Pick apples, grapes, pumpkins and donuts!! Plus a festival here on Sunday!
Three Rivers Area Fall Color Tour, Sunday, Oct. 13 from 11 am to 5 pm
Join us for the Fall Color Tour this Sunday! The weather forecast looks perfect, sun and cool, sweatshirt weather! We will have food, fun, fruit, arts and crafts, music, and other special events during that time. Corey Lake Orchards is one of 12 stops on the scenic, fun-filled tour to celebrate the beauty of Fall in the Three Rivers area. Find more about the event here: https://events.trchamber.com/events/details/fall-color-tour-826
Our market, bakery, up-pick apples, and u-pick grapes are available during our normal business hours of 8 am to 6 pm. In addition we will have:
- CLO Brandy House (noon to 3 pm)
- CLO Hard Cider Tastings (noon to 3 pm)
- Birds of Prey (1 to 3 pm, weather permitting)
- The Chillbilly’s Band (foot-stomping music from 1 to 4 pm)
- Camzie’s Pizza Food Truck
- Hope Foundation Fire Truck
- Face Painting by Constantine High School Art Club
Visit our many talented and creative vendors. Now is the time to start your holiday shopping!
- Art by Anna
- Barb’s Bowls
- Bushman Music
- Cindy’s Whimsies
- Clear Lake Studio Works
- Delightful Designs
- Donna Young
- Faith in Flora
- High View Studio
- Jake’s Country Meats
- Laughing Horse Artisan
- Mary Hanlin
- Nature’s Edibles from Ginger Hills Farms
- Pugling Hoard
- Teresa Featherstone
- The Sustainable Hive
- Vicki Latua
- Webster Knife Works
- The Wood Whacker
We loved celebrating Apple Crunch Day today..…thanks to all who crunched into one of our apples today!!
It’s Apple Season! Here’s what we have in the market for sale now:
- Honeycrisp: This seems to be many people’s favorite. It is crisp with an excellent sweet flavor and a “bite” to it. Great for eating fresh or using in salads. Sold by the pound only, ($2).
- McIntosh: This is a soft, white fleshed apple, very popular for baking and applesauce. Come soon, not many left.
- Jonathan: Pretty and popular, used for fresh eating and cooking, a favorite for apple butter and taffy apples.
- Red Delicious: America’s most popular apple “back in the day.” Best for fresh eating and snacks. Full-flavored sweet taste.
- Cortland: A hint of tartness makes this a great baking variety, a descendent of the McIntosh. This variety is a bit sweeter than its ancestor and juices really well. Come soon, not many left.
- Northern Spy: The professional baker’s dream, cooks up well in applesauce, pie and other dishes. Stores well, easy to remember by saying “Spies for pies.” We have very few of these this year, if you want some please call and order. if you have already placed an order, we have called you to come pick them up.
- Golden Delicious: A gingery-smooth, sweet taste under a thin skin. It’s the most popular yellow apple, good eaten fresh, baked or cut in salads. Makes a nice apple sauce and many people use for canning pie filling. We have a bumper crop of these this year! However, many of them have some russet marks on the skin caused by some of the extremes in the spring weather. It does not go skin deep, but just doesn’t look very pretty:( We are bagging these up as “seconds,” and doing a special price on them for $8 a half bushel (normal pricing is $14 a half bushel. This is a great deal for someone who is going to process a lot of apples or wants to feed animals.
These apples we hope to have on the market this weekend:
- Cameo: Firm, crisp and sweet, tart. Great for snacking or baking. Keeps well in your refrigerator.
- Ida Red: Suits your every use! Eat fresh or for cooking. Taste is both tangy and tart. Flesh is white, crisp and juicy. Favored for sauces, pies and desserts. Texture holds up well when baked.
- Mutsu: Has a moderately sweet flavor with firm, juicy and creamy white flesh. Its skin color is a yellowish green with an orange blush. It is excellent for fresh eating, sauces, juice, and baking. This apple stores and keeps well.
- Fuji: Has a fantastic sweet flavor and tart flavor, with a low acid content. An incredibly good keeper, it says crisp for weeks without even being in the refrigerator.
- Braeburns: Sweet with a hint of tart, and a firmness that stores well. These traits plus the fact that they bake well have made them a very versatile apple.
If you have ordered Mutsu or Ida Reds, we are in the process of bagging your orders and will call you when ready.
We currently have some apple specials on Gala and JonaMac. Buy 2 half bushel bags and get one free. Can mix and match, so you are getting 1 and 1/2 bushels (3 bags) for $26. Can’t use that many apples? Drop off at a local food bank, take to a sporting event to share, make lots of applesauce and freeze!
- Gala is a great eating and cooking apple with a crisp snappy bite over a mellow sweetness
- Jon-A-Mac: This is a good cooking or eating apple. It has all of the best qualities of a Jonathan and a McIntosh. A favorite for apple sauce.
Apple picking will be available on Saturday, Sunday and Columbus Day Monday (October 12, 13, and 14). This could be our be our last days to pick apples for the year. Check our website later to see if we will have any other weekends for apple picking yet this month. We will be open during our business hours of 8 until 6. Please check in at the market first to get directions as you will be driving to the orchard. We need everyone checked out by 6, so you must be in the apple orchard by 5:30, and checked in at the market by 5:15.
The U-Pick Apples varieties available will be: Yellow and Red Delicious, Cameo and Fuji. You might find other varieties left that didn’t get picked last weekend. Trees are loaded, lots of fun!
Apple pricing for the year: The price is the same for picked apples or u-pick apples. With the exception of a few special varieties (like Honeycrisp) all the apples are: $26 a bushel**, $14 a half-bushel, $8.00 a peck (1/4 of a bushel), $6 a half-peck, $3.50 a 1/4 peck and $1.00 a pound. **When we have bushels available.
Apple Gleaning: Traditionally we have opened apple gleaning after we have finished the apple harvest. This year since we had fewer apples, there may not be much left for gleaning. Gleaning is where you can pick what is left off the ground or the tree at a reduced price. Check back around October18 to see if we will have gleaning available.
Apple Cider update: This week’s cider is superb; we have lots of Honeycrisp in it! Try a free sample at the market. Our cider is not pasteurized, so must be refrigerated.
Wondering when your favorite apple will be ready? Each week we will publish an apple estimate at the end of this post.*** Most of the dates have moved back, as rainy weather does not ripen apples!
Squash: We have many varieties of winter squash, try our baked or mashed potato squash!
Pumpkins! Orange pumpkins, white pumpkins, pumpkins with bumps, striped pumpkins, large pumpkins, small pumpkins…..we have pumpkins! Come pick yours out! Priced from $10 to $2, based on size.
U-Pick pumpkins: Looking for a fun activity for the kids? We just opened our u-pick pumpkin patch. The cost is $10 per family which includes picking a large pumpkin. Additional pumpkins are available for picking at $8 (large), $5 (medium), $2 (small pie) each. It’s never too early to show children that pumpkins grow on vines in a field, not a parking lot! The field will be open daily from 8 until 6, (except for Tuesdays when we are closed.) If we have a significant amount of rain, we may have to close it until it dries out.
We also have carved out several great spots in the field for pumpkin or Thanksgiving photos with your children. Please note that photographers with appointments have priority to using these areas.
White Niagara You Pick Grape Update: The white Niagara grapes opened for U-pick on Saturday 9-21 for the season. We have less than half of a crop of these this year due to the winter freeze. At this time, there are only a few rows left that have not been picked but folks are still finding them!
Purple Concord You Pick grape update: We are still picking Concord grapes. Just remember we are closed on Tuesday! Concord grapes usually last up until the first frost. It just depends how many customers come and how many get picked. Additional information about grape picking can be found below.**
Picked grapes: We are no longer taking orders for picked grapes.
U-PIck visitors to our farm, please be aware that we are located in St. Joseph County, MI where cases of Triple E have occurred. While we have not seen many mosquitos around lately, we want everyone to be diligent and protected. Eastern Equine Encephalitis or commonly known as Triple E or sleeping sickness caused the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) to urge locals to protect themselves from the bite of infected mosquitoes. Initially infecting horses with a reported 90 percent fatality rate, people are still warned for they can also be bitten by infected mosquitoes. Though it is a rare cause of potentially fatal brain infections in people, “it has a 33 [percent] fatality rate for humans who become ill,” Lynn Sutfin of the MDHHS said. Here’s what you can do to take precaution:
- Apply insect repellents that are EPA-registered or contain DEET to exposed skin. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for use.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors. It is also important to wear light colored clothes so as not to attract mosquitoes.
This weekend in the bakery we will have pumpkin cupcakes, pumpkin pies, and pecan pies! If you would like anything reserved give us a call at 269-244-5690 and we will be happy to save it for you!
This weekend’s offerings will be:
- Cookies: Cut-out cookies, Frosted Lemon, M&M “Monster”, Chaos, Mudslide, and Salted Caramel
- Pies: Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, Pecan, and Pumpkin.
- Apple Crisp
- Pumpkin cupcakes
- Breads: Wheat and Rye Herb, Potato Scallion, and Herb Baguette. Whole Wheat, Honey Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Italian, Tuscan, Hamburger and Hotdog Buns
- Cinnamon Rolls, Sticky Buns, Yeast Donuts, muffins, scones
- Dessert bars: peanut butter mousse, chocolate caramel, lemon burst, chocolate truffle, chocolate and white mousse
- Fall flavors cake donuts: Buttermilk, Apple Cider, and Pumpkin (Available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Columbus Day Monday)
- Slushies- 3 flavors; Unpasteurized Apple Cider, White Grape Peach, and Grape blend.
We are starting to take orders for Holiday take and bake pies. Pies need to be ordered 3 days in advance and we will be taking orders until the market and bakery close for the season. We will have one November pickup date — Saturday, November 23 from 9-12, or you can pickup any day before the market and bakery close for the season.
Look for our “take and bake” pies for you to stock up on in your freezer (for you to indulge in). “Take and bake” pie choices are all large-9″ pies and available flavors in the freezer now.
Photographers – If you are interested in Fall photo opportunities on our farm, please contact Brenda@coreylakeorchards.com. She will work with you to schedule appointments, provide information on our photo policies and discuss backdrop possibilities in the apple orchard, the pumpkin field and other picturesque spots we have on the farm.
- Brandies: Pear, Grape, Apple, Cherry, Peach, and Grappa
- Rye Whiskey
- Wines: Double Cherry and New: Peach and Honey (already a favorite by those who have tried it)
- Hard Cider flavors: A late summer hard cider is back, Blueberry, and it is delicious! We also have Standard Dry, Standard Sweet, Bark Bite, Cortabella, Preach, United Squash Federation, Ginger, Strawberry and Brunch.
- Brandy tours and tasting is available every Saturday from 1 until 3 pm, in the Brandy Barn/Distillery We offer brandy, wine and some hard cider samples. It’s always an interesting and fun experience.
Everyone at Corey Lake Orchards thanks you for buying local, we hope to see you at the farm soon!
Reminder: Corey Lake Orchards is closed every Tuesday. We will continue to share this notice since it is a major change. As a small family business, we have begun to realize that to best serve our customers with an exceptional product and experience, we need a down day once per week to regroup, reorganize, and re-energize.
**Additional grape information:
- Picking hours: Our picking hours are 8 am to 6 pm every day except Tuesday (when we are closed) , we ask that you be finished and checked out by 6, Sorry, for everyone’s safety, we have suspended evening picking hours this year due to the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) mosquito-borne disease threat in Southwest Michigan.
- Please check in at the main market on Corey Lake Road before you start. You will be directed to the vineyard in which we are picking that day and be assigned rows to pick on by our vineyard supervisor.
- If you are coming to pick grapes, please bring clippers, scissors, 5 gallon buckets and small wagons if you have them. Some of our rows are very long! If you don’t have 5 gallon buckets to pick in, we will loan you ours, but please bring something to take your grapes back home in. (Boxes, plastic tubs, etc.)
- Pricing : U-pick pricing for both color grapes is the following (please note we sell them by the pound and consider a five-gallon pail or a 1/2 bushel basket to be 20 pounds):
- 45 cents a pound for under 100 pounds, 1 five-gallon bucket or a ½ bushel = $9
- Over 100 pounds; 27.5 cents a pound, 1 five-gallon bucket or ½ bushel = $5.50
***Apple Estimate Chart for 2019: Updated 10-10- 2019
|Variety||Crop Size Estimate||U-Pick Available? Red means they are ready now for Saturday, Sunday and Columbus Day Monday picking||Approximate Week Ready–Please check back as weather will can change date earlier or later||Should order in advance|
|Cortland||fair||All picked||In market now||no|
|Gala||good||all picked||In market now||no|
|Golden Delicious||good||yes||in market now||no|
|Honey Crisp||fair||no||In market now||no|
|Ida Red||few*||All picked||Ready now||yes|
|Jona Mac||good||All picked||In market now||no|
|Jonathon||fair||yes — few||Ready now||no|
|McIntosh||good||All picked||In market now||no|
|Mutsu||few*||All picked||Ready now||yes|
|Northern Spy||few||no||in market now||yes|
|Red Delicious||good||yes||In marker now||no|