We will be open starting Wednesday, May 1st, our daily hours are 8 to 6.
Asparagus Update: We will try to pick asparagus for the first time on Weds, May 1st. It will take a few days to a week (depending on the weather) to pick in large quantities. So, you are best to call ahead (269-244-5690) and we will save it for you as we tend to sell out early at the beginning of the season. If you want larger quantities (like 20 pounds or more) please call and get on our order list and we will call you when it is available.
Plants for sale: We currently have a selection of cold crop plants: cabbage, kale, brussell sprouts, lettuce, broccoli, swiss chard, etc. These plants like cold weather and you can get these in your own gardens any time now. We also have tomato plants for sale–many varieties. By the middle of May we hope to have all of our plant selections available: squash, peppers, eggplant, peppers, melons, cukes. So plan on getting your garden items here, call ahead to make sure we have the plants you want before you drive out as we are bringing them in daily.
Blueberry bushes: We have some blueberry bushes available but only a few days. Call us (269-244-5690) if you want us to save you some. These are 3 year established bushes. We have two kinds, Duke and Northland.
Flowers for a cutting garden. Many of you have admired the cutting garden that we put out each year by the market. If you would like to start some of your own, we will be offering those plants as well. The annuals we use in the cutting garden are: cosmos, snapdragons, asters, zinnias, and gomphrena.
In addition we are currently stocking a variety of flower pots and hanging baskets.
Mother’s Day ideas: This year, consider some of our special Mother’s day items we are putting together for the Mom’s in your life:
Salad for Mom:
- We are offering large tomato plants for the patio or to set outside—they are already blooming, staked and some have little tomatoes on them.
- We have put together lettuce bowls that can be put outside, the lettuce can be picked and it grows back!
- Buy a lettuce bowl, a large tomato plant and add a bottle of your Mom’s favorite salad dressing and you have the healthy gift of a fresh salad!
An arranged flower container for the patio or door step for Mom
- This year we are combining the best of two things, Cathy’s skills in creating beautiful flower containers and Beth’s love of collecting vintage items, especially with fruit on them. Come see the many unique containers available for sale at all price ranges. If you have a container you would like Cathy to plant, bring it over.
Baked Goods for Mom: Michaela and her mother, our famous bakers, will be starting up for the year in time for Mother’s Day weekend. Their offerings will be available starting Friday, May 10th through Sunday, May 12th. To be sure to get the baked goods you want, please call ahead or email us to order in advance (269-244-5690).
- Cookies: Large, pastel flower cut outs, Monster and Zucchini Chocolate Chip
- Pies: Apple, Blueberry. Cherry. Cherry Berry and Peach. Note: Peach pies will be only offered a few times this year until peach season as our frozen peach supplies are limited. We are making peach available for Mother’s Day weekend
- Sugar Free Pies need to be ordered in advance
- Also 12 Grain Bread, Whole Wheat Bread and Cinnamon Rolls
Brandy or Polecat Wines for Mom: Bruce will be open for brandy and wine tasting along with tours of our distillery, on Saturday, May 11th from 1 – 4, and then all Saturdays for the rest of our 2013 season. Ask him about some special ways to blend our brandies into some wonderful drinks for Mom.
What’s happening on the farm? Finally some true spring weather and we are busy getting plants in the ground. Last week we planted 28,000 onion bulbs, 6000 strawberry plants, and all of our cold crop plants–working around the several days that it decided to snow off and on! Today we planted tomatoes—all for continuing my Dad’s quest of having the first tomatoes ready in Michigan each year.
Blossoms and Bees: With another 80 degree day coming this week, we expect the orchards to start blooming soon. Our beekeepers have been busy the last few days setting up more hives of bees which we think will enjoy the many pollination choices available here in our orchards, vineyards and fields.
Everyone at Corey Lake Orchards is excited about opening for another season to offer you the best we can in local produce and other local items. Thanks for buying local and we hope to see you soon.